Blog Tour Stop: Review for Dualed (Dualed #1) and Divided (Dualed #2) by Elsie Chapman

Welcome to my stop on the tour for the Dualed Duology, a Young Adult Sci-fi Dystopian. This stop has a review for Dualed and Divided. Enjoy…

Dualed

304

Source: Publisher
Add to Goodreads
Purchase: Amazon • Barnes & Noble • Kobo

In the city of Kersh, everyone must eliminate their genetic Alternate twin, raised by another family, before their twentieth birthday. West Grayer, 15, has trained as a fighter, and has one month to hunt and kill her Alt. A tragic misstep shakes her confidence. Guilty, grieving, she feels unworthy, runs from her Alt and from love - both can destroy her.

My Thoughts 1

This is the first in the Dualed series, and after so long of wanting to read this, I got the chance and I did enjoy it. In a world that is as war, it is closed in, no way in or out. Each person has an Alt, a twin if you will, they are raised in different homes with different parents. The twist is that, there is a time when they will meet and only one will remain alive. These kids are trained to battle each other and the survival skills to go with it. Basically this whole thing just turns a lot of people into murderers, the question is how did this all begin and why.

West is the main character and I will admit that I had a little bit of a hard time connecting with her. She isn’t weak or whiny, but she isn’t overly strong. I felt that she was closed off when it came to her emotions all together, but I guess with the training she has, this is pretty much what she is supposed to be like. I did like the fact that she was going to keep herself alive no matter what she had to do, she grew on me. Chord on the other hand was one that I liked a lot more from the start, he was cute and smart and I liked that no matter how much West tried to push him away, he didn’t give up on her. It was clear that he cared for her and he had his own issues to work through making him seem more realistic to me.

The plots was fast paced, with the whole assassin thing and the constant fights, so there was nothing boring about it at all. The idea behind having an Alt of which at some point you have to kill and the DNA behind it all was pretty creative and frightening too. I mean, can you imagine having a twin that you have to kill or be killed. I wouldn’t want that at all. The romance was subtle which was okay with me. And overall, I did enjoy this, and I am ready to start the Divided now. Fans of dystopians will like this one.

3 hrt

Sourse: Publisher
Genres: Young Adult Science Fiction/Dystopian
Add to Goodreads
Purchase: Amazon • Barnes & Noble • Kobo • iBooks

The hunter becomes the hunted. . . .

West Grayer is done killing. She defeated her Alternate, a twin raised by another family, and proved she’s worthy of a future. She’s ready to move on with her life.

The Board has other plans. They want her to kill one last time, and offer her a deal worth killing for. But when West recognizes her target as a ghost from her past, she realizes she’s in over her head. The Board is lying, and West will have to uncover the truth of the past to secure her future.

How far will the Board go to keep their secrets safe? And how far will West go to save those she loves? With nonstop action and surprising twists, Elsie Chapman’s intoxicating sequel to Dualed reveals everything.

My Thoughts 1

Sometimes being able to read the books in a series so close together has it’s benefits. No waiting to see what happens and remembering how it all ended before starting the sequel. This is one those cases. Especially that picks up right where we left of in book 1. West has defeated her Alt, but now has learned that Board is wanting her to do something for them. But why? And trusting them, is it something she can really do? West and her friends find themselves in some dangerous situations, making for a enthralling read.

West has come pretty far, and been through a lot and wants to have a normal life. The odds of that are kinda slim though but she pushes through. West became a great heroine. Chord is just as wonderful and how much he really does care for West shines through in his actions. Some of the secondary characters played more of a role and it was good to see them again.

The world in Kersh is touched upon a lot more this time around with all it’s inner working. Even though we do get a lot of information, some of the questions I had before were answered and more were raised. We get to learn more about the society itself too. The best part for me was the character growth from West, and with it the relationship growth between West and Chord was better for me. She didn’t push him away like before, and their little romantic encounters were sweet and I liked them so much better this time. The plot moves quickly, lots of action and more fighting and violence was more prevalent. The suspense alone kept me turning the pages, would West uncover the truth, what is store for her future now? It didn’t let up till the last page, and I was happy with the way this ended.

Divided was a fantastic sequel and duology ender. With it’s twists and turn, and West and Chord growing into amazing characters, fans of the Dualed will be pleased.

4 hrt

About Elsie Chapman

5441417

I grew up in Prince George, BC, before graduating from the University of British Columbia with a BA in English Literature. I currently live in Tokyo, Japan with my husband and two kids, where I write to either movies on a loop or music turned up way too loud (and sometimes both at the same time).

I’m repped by The Chudney Agency. My debut novel, DUALED and its sequel, DIVIDED are both available now. Published by Random House Children’s Books.

Photo Credit: Michael Meskin